July 20, 2024

Are You a Victim of a DUI? Find Out What You Should Know About Marijuana-Related Car Accidents

Do i need a personal injury lawyer

Have you been wondering if you’re a victim of a DUI because you were seriously injured in an auto accident? If you or a passenger in your vehicle were injured in an accident due to another driver’s negligence, then you probably have several questions regarding DUI or DWI law. It’s best to ask these questions to an auto accident attorney, so you receive information pertaining to your own case. However, these are some basic questions you may have about such accidents:

Am I a victim of DUI?

If you were hit by a driver who was under the influence at the time of the accident, then you were likely a DUI victim. However, it might be difficult to determine this at the scene of the accident. If an officer issued a field sobriety test to the other driver, then you should see the findings in an accident report. Whether or not the other driver is charged with a DUI or a DWI may be determined at a later date.

Does marijuana use contribute to increased car accidents?

According to research out of Colorado, where recreational cannabis is legal, the number of car accidents has actually gone down since marijuana was legalized. However, this doesn’t mean that it should be used before driving or operating heavy machinery. Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol poses a serious risk for an accident. So does marijuana use contribute to increased car accidents and injuries? Not necessarily, but using it is still a hazard to other drivers on the road.

Who should I call after a car accident?

Immediately after you have a car accident, you should make sure to call the police if you are able to. You will need to report the accident because your insurance company will need this information. You would later call the insurance company to file a claim with them. If you need medical attention, you should obtain this as soon as possible and make sure that your injuries are documented should you need to take legal action. Many people think it’s necessary to contact a personal injury attorney right away, but this should be done after you have filed the appropriate reports and claims.

Have more questions about your accident case? Make sure to speak to a personal injury lawyer in your area. You can leave a comment below with any general questions about DUI or DWI. Learn more at this link.

Leave a Reply